Sherlock_Avatar

Avatar VS Sherlock Holmes on Social Media

I always think it’s interesting to see movies’ online mentions because movie business rely so much on Word on Mouth. I believe that “word of mouse” can somehow reflects how the movies are doing.
You might also want to check out my previous post “Social Media Mentions of Movies predict Revenue“.

Avatar is obviously ahead of the game, but Sherlock Holmes is catching up, I believe mention numbers will grow after it official releases on 24th Dec. See graph below:

I used these 2 movies on this research because they both have interesting social media strategies.
To learn more about their social media tactics, read: Avatar The Movie and Social Media Marketing also Sherlock Holmes Turns to TweetDeck for Film Promotion and Tickets Giveaway on Neon Punch.

8 CommentsLeave a Comment

• Puja Madan

8 months ago

Thanks for the mention Tim. Interesting trends you've showcased here. I'm going to spend some time on your blog one of these days! Cheers, Puja

• Tim Ho

8 months ago

Thanks Puja. Subscribed to your blog as well. Feel free to drop feedback on my posts.

• Dwayne

7 months ago

Hmmm I think its a bit of an unfair comparison really. Avatar is Jim Cameron's long awaited flick, its been blasted to death in the press and other places and so the anticipation is incredibly high, not only for the movie itself but all the buzz surrounding the 3d tech etc. Sherlock Holmes is a tiny movie by comparison (hype, buzz, budget, expectations etc…) – I can see the point you were trying to make but I think its a bit like comparing a new iPhone release with a 2nd class Sony Ericsson release….and actually if you look at the US box office, Sherlock has done remarkably well give its fighting Avatar :-)

• Tim Ho

7 months ago

True. I was surprised how good sherlock holmes did. I also agree that it's not the perfect comparison, however they were both the buzz at that time and I didn't expect such a huge difference in online mentions.

• Tim Ho

7 months ago

• Hamadah-111

5 months ago

unfair comparism. i mean avatar is much much better than sherlock holmes

• Hamadah-111

5 months ago

unfair comparism. i mean avatar is much much better than sherlock holmes

Trackbacks for this post

1. Avatar Vs Sherlock Holms on Social Media | Tim Ho

Leave a CommentPlease be polite. We appreciate that.

Your Comment